Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Desperately in need of any help you can extend to my niece Angela

Angela Melvinne or "Ela" is the only daughter of my older sister Marianne, a single parent, and they both are living with my parents. Ela is now 9 years old, when she was 6, she was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma, a malignant central nervous system tumor of childhood. We don't know how she got it, we just noticed that she often cries for severe headache, starts to vomit and has double vision.
SideStory: Our home was devastated by the typhoon Milenyo before this happened, my lil brother forced to stop college because of this.

December 28, 2006.Yeah, it was my birthday, if I remember it right when she was admitted to St. Luke's. We celebrated her birthday at the Hospital (December 29) and I brought her favorite cake (SansRival) to celebrate it was late when I found out that she is not allowed to eat in preparation for her operation. On December 31, 2006, she was in the operating room, I remember, calling friends in the middle of the night to call hospitals who may have Ela's blood type A+ because doctor's said she's running out of some. Thank you to the HSN folks who did text birgades to help us out, for those who dropped by for blood testing, specially my bestest friend Janeth. She called ups some hospitals and told me that UMC have it. While everyone is celebrating New Year, we were there hoping and praying for the success of the operation. Thanks God it was, she was then transferred to the ICU and man, I was crying while I was lookign at her. Her tiny body with tubes all over, she couldn't move nor speak. When she was finally released, she underwent RadioTherapy and it was supposed to be followed up by ChemoTherapy but we don't have ways how we can support such medication. After this, my sister Marianne couldnt come to work until she resigned and had difficulty finding for a new one because her daughter need most of her time.
Note: Assistance we got from former Rosario Cavite Mayor Renato Abutan, we also got Php 9,000 fromPCSO, our 13th month pay, donations and loans everywhere.

Days, weeks, months passed, still we can't afford to give her Chemotherapy. We know for a fact that she really needs it but where in the world can we find the money to expense for it (around 50K/session and she needs more that 10). May 2008, she started vommitting and experience severe headache. There was also one time when she complains that she couldnt see anymore. I couldnt forget that day, it was evening, Ela was in bed, she was crying, screaming "nasaan kayo.. wala akong makita..." and we were all there, helpless, just crying and just gave her Mefenamic to releieve her pain and tuck her to sleep. The next day we are all restless, walking around looking for anyone who can lend us money. Together with my mother, they went to "Bantay Bata" hoping that they can get antyhing from that charity. While they are waiting, Ela starts to vomit and complains for headache. The nearest hospital there was PCMC, she was admitted right there and then. I don't know how but we managed to survive medications and her operation. Yes, she had another surgery. Surprisingly, her NeuroSurgeon in St. Luke's was the same surgeon who took care of her, Dra. Sy. After the successfull operation, again, we were advised that Ela should undergo Chemotherapy. We tried but we don't know how, where we can get that amount of money.
SideStory: House is still devastated, my father's ATM is pawned, my brother got scholarship for college but still couldnt go to school because we don't know if we can support at least his daily allowance. I am taking most part of their daily expenses.

Days, weeks, months passed, still we can't afford to give her Chemotherapy. We know for a fact that she really needs it but where in the world can we find the money to expense for it (around 50K/session and she needs more that 10). Last week, to our greatest fear, symptoms starts to show again. Just today, we sent her to PCMC for a check-up but her doctor strongly suggest to admit her and prepare her for MRI.
SideStory: House still devastated, my lil brother starts to take short course for Welding (hope we can financially support him all the way through as he plans to work abroad after), Marianne got a call and started her Training last Monday. Today, after her Training she went straight to the Hospital, the money I was saving for my daughter was withdrawn, ATM is still pawned.


We are hoping for the the best, holding tight on our faith, fighting together with her 'cause we see how Ela struggled and fought for surviving all these. I don't know if this is something that we can still take, but we still keep our faith.

2 comments:

  1. If you know someone or an organization that can help us with this ordeal please let me know. Also, please pray for Angela. You can reach me at 09178477785.

    ReplyDelete
  2. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis Tennessee is free, they provide transportation and lodging for the patient and a parent. email me and I will do what I can to get you in touch with a dr. there. My son was treated there last year for his medulloblastoma.

    ReplyDelete